Chlamydia is a treatable, curable bacterial infection passed during sexual contact. It is the most common sexually transmitted bacterial infection in the United States. About three million American women and men become infected with chlamydia every year. Women and men under 25 are at the highest risk.
Chlamydia is known as the silent STD because the majority of people who have been infected experience no symptoms. However, left untreated, Chlamydia can cause health concerns including ectopic pregnancy and infertility. Because of the lack of symptoms, regular testing for those people who may be at risk is critical. The CDC recommends that sexually active women under 25 and older women with risk factors get tested every year.
Here are few facts about chlamydia:
- Chlamydia is the most common bacterial STD . One in 15 girls aged 14 to 19 has chlamydia.
- The bacteria, chlamydia trachomatis, may be treated and cured with antibiotics.
- The STD can spread via vaginal, anal or oral sex.
- Untreated chlamydia can cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Chlamydia can impact pregnancy through pre-term labor or transmission to the baby during delivery, causing eye infections and pneumonia at birth.
Read more facts about Chlamydia from the CDC.
Learn More About Our Testing Services
ARCpoint Labs of Milwaukee, WI North can run an STD test for Chlamydia with a simple urine test. Contact ARCpoint Labs of Milwaukee, WI North today. Don’t wait and wonder. Your health depends on it.